Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Bill H. here. I'm working with a friends paint booth. the

Customer Question

Hi Mike - Bill H. here. I'm working with a friends paint booth. the exhaust system is run by a Smith & Jones 2HP, #67842,
model D1545T2S4C. It is 115 / 230V and draws 17.2/8.7 amps . He wants me to put a rheostat speed control so he can slow the fan down for certain procedures.
The pulley ratios are 1:1 and it now runs at 1800RPM on110V.
I think a decent rheostat might cost more than the motor? Would the rheostat burn out the motor or vice versa? Can it even be done? If so what kind of rheostat should I use and would it work if we convert the motor for 220V?
Anjy help here will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Bill
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Unfortunately you won't be able to varie the speed of the motor. To be able to a muliti speed motor would be required. Might consider a damper on the intake duct as an alternative.