Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I installed a new ceiling fan. Hot is hot at 110V, and

Customer Question
connected. Hot to neutral shows...
I installed a new ceiling fan. Hot is hot at 110V, and connected. Hot to neutral shows 110V.
Ground in connected. Fan light is operating, but fan motor is not.
One thing that I may have done wrong, that may have caused the problem. I connected hot wire while it was hot. I then connected the neutral wire, and a very small spark jumped between the neutral wires. The switch to the fan may have been in an on position, and the fan may have made a very small noise as if it were trying to start, but after this it made no further noise, and never operated. I never got the fan motor to run.
How can I find out if the fan motor is messed up, and get the fan to run.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/25/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The first thing is to advise that the factory strips on the lead wires are always too short to make a good connection. Strip the leads, twist the strands and make sure they are ahead of the solid wire going into the wirenut. Check the connection and let me know what you discover.

Hi Mike,
I already did this, and made sure the electrical connections were good.

This may seem like a dumb question, but I have to ask. If there are pullchains on the fan, have you pulled them to see if the fan starts?

I pulled the pull chain, and that's why the pull chain may have been in one of the on positions when I connected that neutral wire that had a small spark jump, when possibly the fan motor made a small noise.

Connecting it with power on and getting a spark shouldn't cause it not to work. Is this a direct switch to fan installation or is there a remote also. If there is, what type.

There is no remote. There is a wall switch that may have been connected at one time to the outlet for the fan/light, but it is not operative now. However, the hot wire is hot, and thus to me should run the fan motor just through the pull chain.

Are both the black wire and the blue wire connected together on a house black wire? If not make the connections that way, seeing as how the light works.

the black and blue wires are both connected to the hot, and that is how the light is operative.

Just to be sure remove that connection, strip the wires again, twist the fan wires together and the join them with the house wire. If that doesn't correct the problem, return the fan as defective. What you did should not have caused the problem.

I have not received a reply in 15 minutes? Are you still there?

I'm here. This is the last reply I sent.

Disconnect the black and blue wires, strip them again, twist them together before connecting to the house wire. If that doesn't correct the problem, return the fan as defective. What you did would not have caused it to fail.

Sorry, I did not see your reply, but now I have. Sorry, but I'm not satisfied with your answer. This was nothing that I didn't already know. I thought you might know a way for me to make sure the power was getting to the motor, or test the motor directly. I would like to opt out now and pay the $5 deposit fee.

Very well, I'll opt out. Have a good afternoon.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician