Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I live in a complex that has exterior dusk to dawn lights.

Customer Question

I live in a PUD complex that has exterior dusk to dawn lights. They're mounted outside the garage of each unit and there is no inside on/off switch. We're replacing them with units that were advertised as "dusk to dawn" with a motion detection feature. However, on reading the manual it says the lights will come on at dusk and go off after 4-6 hours and then the motion detection device kicks in. We're required to have lights on all night for security. The manual also says there is a manual override using the wall switch (which we don't have) and the light will remain on for 8 hours or until dawn. What the heck?? Can we make these work for dusk to dawn only? I know that bulbs are made now with a built-in sensor. Would that override the motion detection feature?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. On the bottom of the sensor head should be a means of setting the functions as far as sensitivity dand duration. Check to see if the motion detector can be overridden. If not a swap of sensor for a standard photo cell would have to be made.