How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kevin Your Own Question
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 3586
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Kevin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

PECO is coming to house today. What exactly should I tell

Customer Question

PECO is coming to house today. What exactly should I tell them to do. I spoke with electrician who was here 5 times and he was the one who advised me to call PECO. Electrician stated torque , breakers were good , panel was good as stated PECO. I may be
the only house on this transformer as it is a rural area. I really want this ti end as it has been going on 4 months now. Prior never had a problem , house is 25 years old and well maintained.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rocky, welcome back to

Just relate your experience is over the last several months and explain that you had an electrician out there several times and they will know what to do on their end. They should be looking for loose connections on their side of the line all the way down to the meter base and inside the meter. This is what they do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get Kevin ,expert electrician back ? Thank You
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and refer to him thank you

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have PECO perform the following and confirm:

A) They should install a Power Quality Monitor at their transformer and also on the LOAD side of the house meter. The Power Quality monitor will check for voltage spikes, sags, over voltage, etc.

B) The tap lug connections on the PECO transformer and at the meter LINE and LOAD side lug connections need to be confirmed for proper torquing/tightening to make sure there are no loose connections.

C) PECO needs to perform phase to phase (240VAC) voltage measurements and each phase to ground (120VAC) voltage measurements at the transformer and inside the meter enclosure. The 120 and 240 volt nominal voltage levels need to be measured and confirmed if within the tolerance percentage of their transformer specs and also account for any voltage drops up to the LOAD side of the meter.

D) Confirm with PECO if you are the only customer on their transformer. If other customers on the transformer, find out if any other customers are experiencing similar problems such as you are having.

E) Have PECO confirm that there is no loose neutral connections at the transformer or at the house meter.

2) It is also recommended to have your local licensed electrician present during the PECO service call and have the electrician explain what was previously checked on your customer premise electrical distribution equipment. I recommend this in case PECO tries to point any fingers by stating the problem is not on their end, but on your end.

Reply back to me and let me know what develops on the situation............Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin,
What is a floating ground? I was told that maybe the problem with the electric in the house?
Thank you
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) A floating ground is a ground that is not properly terminated (a loose connection) and/or also not properly bonded to the neutral conductor at the main service panel. You should have 2 separate forms of a grounding electrode conductor (a primary and a supplemental). 1 supplemental ground at the exterior ground rods and the 2nd primary ground to the street side of a cold metal water supply pipe (if available). Both of these grounds need to terminate and bond together at the neutral bus bar located inside the main service panel. Inside the panel at the main neutral bus bar, there should be 2 bare copper ground wires (larger size, will either be a 8 AWG or 6 AWG or 4 AWG ground wire..........ground wire size depends upon how many amps your service is.

2) The problem will either be due to the utility transformer or loose connections on their end or inside the exterior meter socket or a loose or not properly bonded neutral to ground connection on either on the LOAD side of the meter or inside the neutral bus bar connection at the electrical service panel.

3) If a floating ground on your equipment, your electrician should have caught that and confirmed that the neutral and the 2 grounds were properly torqued and no loose connections.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.


Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.