Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a baldor 10 hp 3 phase motor. I know it can be

Customer Question
started with a smaller motor...
I have a baldor 10 hp 3 phase motor. I know it can be started with a smaller motor then run off 220. My question would be how to wire it. I've got it set up now with three sets of two wires and then three ground wires. I put 220 to two of the doubled hot
lines and ground to the group of three. I spin it up with a small 110 motor and then turn the power to it on. It runs just fine for a couple minutes but then the wires get warm and it trips the breaker.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/22/2015
Electrician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it is generally not possible run a 3 phase motor with single phase (2 wires) under a load... it IS possible to keep it spinning, under no load, for a while that way, the term is called 'single phasing'... and refers to a negative condition in which the motor can carry no load and over heats or burns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjaIiVcOhuU

There are some exceptions however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dho86GbvB3Q

It can also be done by fitting 'run capacitors' between the two legs with power supplied to them and the third leg of the motor that you are not supplying with power (3 phase).

............

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer