Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Do you know when the electrical code changed moving away

Customer Question

do you know when the electrical code changed moving away from Romex wiring in high rise condos in Florida (pompano Beach)? We just purchased and the home inspector made no mention of Romex in the unit which is apparently a code violation. Should a home inspector that sees this present in the panel and elsewhere in the condo pick up on this code violation and report it? I want to go to this inspection company for a reimbursement claim. Would like to prove this is common knowledge for condo inspections that was missed. please help
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. How old is the condo? How many floors is the building?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18 floors and over 30 years old
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

As memory serves me all occupancies over 3 floors couldn't be wired with Romex. If all the branch circuits are Romex, it was built that way by exception. If only some are, I think it was a remodeling job done without a permit. To verify exactly you would need to check with the local building department. Code varie by jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if this is the case should an inspector already know this and watch out for it and report on it?Do you have any info on when the code changed and Romex was no longer acceptable in the Florida state?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

The code prohibited it in building over 3 stories. It is still accepted in the state otherwise. How did you get the reason for this question? You might want to check with the condo service people to see if your unit is different than the others.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The general contractor (GC) had their licensed electrician look at this while we started the reno. This GC has done many renos and the unit by the looks of was previously renovation with no permit, hence the romex. I would like to establish that romex is a common knowledge code violation in the industry related to condos over 3 stories. any insight please. Condo people say its common knowledge but I would rather have something more concrete as back up support.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

The current code allows Romex in any building if covered by a 15 minuet frire barrier. Drywall is a 15 min barrier. My memory brought back that at one time the limit was 3 stories. In any case the building department of your local government would be the best source as to if you are compliant or not. I would check and not religh on the word of a GC trying to sell a job.