Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I just installed a ceiling fan but the wiring is on a series

Customer Question
Hi - I just installed...
Hi - I just installed a ceiling fan but the wiring is on a series -- I have the isolation (switch) wire into the neutral and three additional N wires separated. But not working. I suspect one of the other N wires should also go into the fan wiring but I have just passed my confidence level with typical wiring. Thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/18/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. If I understand your description, you have a group of neutral wires and one loose neutral, correct? Are all the black wires together? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Mike, one of the neutral wires is grouped with the hot (red) and the others are separate. I failed to mark them when I removed the previous light fixture and do not know if the other three were all together or if only two of them were and one was actually grouped to the neutral coming off the switch, e.g. to complete a circuit. And no I do not have a voltage tester...
If my thought that one of them was actually grouped with the switch is a good thought, then I know which one as the other three wires, two are clearly grouped and one is separate.

What colors are the wires on the switch?

red and black (I am in Australia FYI). And I have everything properly earthed as well
Also, I am pretty sure the only risk of what I suggested above is that the unit will not be on an isolation switch which is not safe long term but at least I would confirm immediately if that solves the isolation switch issue and everything works.

I suspect that the blacks together and the whites together in the ceiling and having a red and black on the switch, the fan connects white to all the whites and the fan black and blue connect to the red. That makes it switch controlled.

um, there are no whites. We got reds/browns and blacks (plus the green/gold earth). Are you familiar with Australian wire colour coding or are you from somewhere else?

Connect the browns as I said whites. I'm in the USA.

coming out of the fan an to the switch, I should have the brown from the fan connect to the black from the switch and the black from the fan connect to the red from the switch?

No, all browns are together in the ceiling, including the fan brown. The blacks are all together in the ceiling. The red connects to the fan black.

I think I'm going to play it safe and get an electrician out -- I' not confident I understand what to do here. Thanks anyway

Your black and brown are hot and neutral. You are bringing the back to the switch and returning on the red. That makes the red to browns switched.

Sorry, to be honest your answers are confusing me more than helping me. Maybe I'm a bit daft but just not quite getting what you are saying

OK, then I'll opt out and possibly another expert can make it easier to understand. Good luck.

Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Looking at your information, you posted this:

"one of the neutral wires is grouped with the hot (red) and the others are separate. I failed to mark them when I removed the previous light fixture and do not know if the other three were all together"

Based on that, the 3 black neutrals will tie together.

The one black connected to the Red Live wires is the down feed to the switch.

Then the red from the switch is the Live feed back to the light.

This is done, because the same cables are used for switches and so you have to use the black as a Live and not a a neutral. Neutral does not connect to a standard switch as in your situation.

Look at the diagram below, it may help

Let me know anything further,

Thanks

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, if you have all the information necessary-please don’t forget to perform the rating,
so that I may receive credit for assisting on the situation.
It is appreciated

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician