Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I need a electricians opinion, I need to (PROPERLY GROUND &

Customer Question

I need a electricians opinion, I need to (PROPERLY GROUND & BOND AT THE WATER METER). I already put a ground pole in back of home to the electrical box which should ground the whole home. The water meter is on other side of of house, can I just put another pole in ground or do I have to drill holes through all the Joyce's and run a copper wire from water meter to electrical box. I would appreciate some feed back, Thank you!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many amps is the electrical service?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.......I have not heard back from you.

1) National Electrical Code requires a primary and a supplemental ground. The primary ground will connect to the neutral bus bar in the main panel and then a contiguous run (no splices allowed) from the panel and terminate to the street side of the metal water meter pipe and then jumper back across the water meter and terminate to the house side of the water meter.

2) The ground rod connection is the supplemental ground and the ground wire is connected at the neutral bus bar at the main panel and connected to the ground rod. One contiguous run and no splices allowed.

3) If the underground water pipe is metal, then you need to install a ground wire to it. If no ground to the metal water pipe at the water meter, then this will result in a code violation.

4) The grounding electrode conductor size is dependent upon how many amps you have for the main electrical panel. Thus the reason I was asking my initial question. The exterior ground rod conductor must be copper and not aluminum.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...........Kevin:)