Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm going to be moving into an apartment and the only 240v

Customer Question

Hi mike, I'm going to be moving into an apartment and the only 240v power supply is a 40a breaker for a range oven. I have an electric brewery controller with 30a wiring, can I run this equipment off the 40a breaker without causing a hazard?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I be glad to assist you. If the equipment is listed 30A, the circuit needed is a 40A. That is 30X 1.25 continuous= 37.5A and you step up to the breaker 40A.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so even though the wiring is rated for 30a, I'll be good with a 40a breaker. Also, I want to provide myself with GFI protection. Can I build an inline GFI power cord with a 40a plug wired into a 50a GFI spa panel, and have a 10/4 30a extension cord running from the panel and plugged into my controller?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Yes you can.