How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 1425
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going to be moving into an apartment and the only 240v

Customer Question

Hi mike, I'm going to be moving into an apartment and the only 240v power supply is a 40a breaker for a range oven. I have an electric brewery controller with 30a wiring, can I run this equipment off the 40a breaker without causing a hazard?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I be glad to assist you. If the equipment is listed 30A, the circuit needed is a 40A. That is 30X 1.25 continuous= 37.5A and you step up to the breaker 40A.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so even though the wiring is rated for 30a, I'll be good with a 40a breaker. Also, I want to provide myself with GFI protection. Can I build an inline GFI power cord with a 40a plug wired into a 50a GFI spa panel, and have a 10/4 30a extension cord running from the panel and plugged into my controller?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Yes you can.