Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I would like to install a 100 amp service from the meter to

Customer Question

I would like to install a 100 amp service from the meter to my garage. I would like some advice on how to do this. I plan to use 2-2-2-4 AL feeder from the bottom of the meter to a new breaker box. I am confused on bonding and grounding. Could someone help me with this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) you'll need a 100A disconnect at the meter

2) 2 ground rods with #6 copper wire between them to the disconnect neutral bar.

3) bonding screw in disconnect.

4) neutral and ground from sub feed to neutral bar.

5) neutral and ground on separate bars at sub panel.

6) ground rod with#6 copper to ground bar of sub panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sub panel. I am using a direct feed from the meter to a main breaker panel in the garage. The main breaker panel has a 100A disconnect in it. If I am using 2 grounding rods, could I just run 2-2-2 AL from the meter, no need for a grond wire from the meter to the main panel is there?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

2-2-4 Al will do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2-2-4, meaning 2 is line one (hot), 2 is line 2 (hot), and 4 is neutral? Will this size be ok for 100Amps at about 120ft? I will never draw full amperage.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

120ft..is the garage attached or a seperat building?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Separate building. Ive heard so many different ways of doing this I don't know what way to do it anymore lol. I thought I needed 2-2-2-4 AL wire from the meter to the main breaker box in the garage, so to me that would be a 2 hot, 2 hot, 2 neutral, 4 ground, both the neutral and ground tied together in the meter base and in the breaker box, i also needed two 5/8" grounding rods connected to the neutral/ground buss in the breaker box. How would you do this?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You need to do it as I originally stated. The 4 conductor 2-2-2-4 is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so now that that is cleared up here is my plan, correct me if I am wrong on any of it please.2-2-2-4 Al from meter to main breaker box, in the meter the 2 neutral and the 4 ground are tied together, in the breaker box the 2 neutral and 4 ground are fastened to the ground/neutral strip, also fastened into the ground/neutral strip are two 5/8" ground rods tied together in one continuous #6 copper wire in a non conductive conduit. The two #2 hots feed the main 100Amp breaker. Does this sound good or does it sound like a burnt down garage?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Read my first list of instructions. Your garage will be a sub panel with a main breaker. There has to be a 100A disconnect at the meter location. All grounding and bonding is in the disconnect, not in the meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do i need one at the meter? My house is 200amp service from the meter and has no disconnect at the meter. My house is 200A from the meter to the main panel in the house, that was put in by a professional, why cant the garage be the same way?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Because it is the same building. If you have a 200A service why aren't you originating the sub feed there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because the house is 800ft from the garage. The house has its own pole with meter, and the garage has its own pole with a meter. Two separate feeds. I'm sorry I probably should of told you that from the get go. The garage has its own pole and meter, theres power to the meter, nothing hooked up on the line side.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Current code requires a disconnect at the meter and the line to the garage is a sub feed 4 wire. It would be diffent if the meter was on the garage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can do that. Can I use just a regular disconnect and leave the 100Amp main breaker in the breaker box in the garage?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. One more thing, if this is a new building there should be a ground #4 copper to the footer rebar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a new building. So essentially a neutral and ground are the same thing? I say this because the neutral and ground are tied into the same buss bar, and the ground will be going to two rods. Because this is a per-exsisting structure, and the location of the breaker box will be in the middle of the garage, is it ok for the #4 copper wire to be pushing 40ft?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Existing building doesn't need footer ground. The panel in the garage is a sub panel with a main. The neutral and grounds are on separate bars. The bonding screw isn't used. The disconnect is the main for the sub feed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so will i need to install ground rods for the new disconnect? In my breaker box there are to bars, both are attached by a strap, so are they both for neutrals? Do I need to buy a ground bar?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes you will.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, by one of the strips there is a round bent piece of metal that looks like it fits into the buss on one end, and is screwed to the panel on the other, is that for grounding the box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

That's a bonding attachment. Remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because its not needed being the main disconnect will be bonded right.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Correct.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

When you install the ground bar, that will ground the enclosure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new ground bar will make contact with the housing of the breaker box correct. The wires from the meter to the disconnect, can they be 2-2-2, being that I'm going to be grounding the disconnect with rods? Then the wires from the disconnect will be 2-2-2-4, 4 being the ground running to the breaker box? Or is it wise to run a ground with the neutral from the meter to the disconnect?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Meter to disconnect 3 wire.

Disconnect to sub panel 4 wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i use a 2 pole disconnect?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

It has to be a 2 pole 100A fused or breaker disconnect.