Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

What if the traveler wires are not the same color at both

Customer Question
switches?...
what if the traveler wires are not the same color at both switches?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/7/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The traveler wire colors are always recommended to be the 2 same wire colors. Having different colors suggests that a splice was made either inside the wall switch boxes or possibly at another junction box. Somewhere you have a transition splice that took place. The electrical code does not mandate or specify any particular wire color for the 2 travelers, but it is industry best practice to obviously have them the same color contiguous from one switch to the next switch.

2) If you have a digital voltmeter with a built-in audible continuity feature or an ohm meter, the wire colors can be traced out. When checking for continuity, the circuit breaker must be in the OFF position and the circuit de-energized, otherwise the voltage can destroy the meter when set to continuity.

3) Shown in the diagram below is an example of a typical 3 way switch wiring:

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor