Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My tenant just called to report that her electrical outlet

Customer Question

Hi, my tenant just called to report that her electrical outlet sizzled, popped and smoked. It is not doing anything now, and it doesn't sound like it tripped the breaker. My own electrician is not answering his cell. Can this wait until morning?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I recommend that the branch circuit breaker be turned to the OFF position and remain in the OFF position until a licensed electrician can get to the site and troubleshoot/repair the problem.

2) Whenever wires make a sizzling noise, popping and smoking, that is an indication that arcing took place due to a loose wire termination or a faulty splice. Arc's are a dangerous situation which can easily cause fires. Turn the breaker OFF.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** just got back from turning off the breaker, and my electrician will be coming to check it out tomorrow. Now we can all sleep well!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Very good. Glad to assist.

Now that the breaker is in the OFF position, the circuit is now de-energized and cannot arc anymore.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)