How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Given a bedroom lit by 12 lights imbedded in the ceiling,

Customer Question

Given a bedroom lit by 12 lights imbedded in the ceiling, each a dimmable LED 75W PAR30 E26 Flood 3000K 850L CRI82, arranged to go evenly around the room with four down each side and two between the ends. When a bed is positioned at the near end of the
room, two lights are over the head of the bed, and they are put on a separate switch so they can be controlled separately. The primary switch controls the other ten around the edges. Both switches can dim their lights, and turn them on and off. The actual
switches are to be Lutron, together in a two-switch wall plate at the bedroom door. In addition, there is to be a remote control to control the two lights over the head of the bed (dim them, turn them on and off). What are all the electrical parts required
for the wall plate, the switches, and the remote control? (The switch must of course be LED-appropriate.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The devices mentioned require a Decor style cover plate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does your answer consist of one sentence, or is there more somewhere else? There are Lutron plates, switches, and remotes already in place in this application but they are unsuitable for LEDs. Why did you take this question? It requires an LED expert.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but at 6AM before coffee, I missed part of the question. Lutron devices are comparable with LED lamps. If there will only be 2 positions for control their 3 way dimmers and a standard switch for each set of lights is all that is necessary. Should you want dimming control from the 2 positions, you'll need to use the Z-wave main and aux devices. Both are available from Luton and can be purchased at any home center.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lutron DIVA dimmers. aka Lutron Decora DIVA dimmers. Maybe that's what you were referring to. Yes, that's what's there now, and that's what I want to end up with. But the "guts" have to LED-suitable, which is not so for the current switches. I need to know the right part numbers for the exact right parts to go with my already-installed bulbs. I know this is a PhD-level technical question, but I thought I'd give this service a try. Note: this is in no way like lamps... Did you read? It's ceiling lights! I don't want to talk until I think you have a clue as to the right answer.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Obviously I'm not going to satisfy you, so I'll opt out and let another work with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really, only a highly expert LED expert can begin to answer this question. It involves several tables of information with bulb specific information and switch specific information (I know this because I tried to figure it out myself but found it too difficult because I was too unfamiliar with all the tangential terminology). Such an expert can easily figure it out, but not a novice. I guess someone who works in an electrical store that sells a lot of LED installations would know enough. Thanks for your good effort.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The lamp information is posted except for the manufacturer which is a major influence.

Hopefully Lutron has dimmers specified for the lamps you have in place. They have specific lists.

In order to see if a match is available with your existing lamps, the actual manufacturer is needed for the lamps.

Let me know and we can continue,


Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Just to get it out of the way, if Lutron doesn't have your specified lamp for any of their dimmers, is there another manufacturer you would prefer?

or change lamps to meet Lutron's specifications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm experimenting with your free service and do not want to pay for a call. These bulbs (is "lamps" the correct term for what I call "bulbs"?) were made by TCP. I specified Lutron so the switches would all go with each other, and all are currently the Lutron model and style I mentioned earlier. But I'm not absolutely stuck on that, I don't think. I'm trying to remember which switches won't be changed because they're not for LED lights, but mostly ones in closets come to mind.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.


Bulbs or lamps are one in the same. I sometimes refer to them as lamps because of working with fluorescent s

Can you get the actual model of the TCP bulbs, there are many and not all the same on any list (Lutron list is shown by Model numbers)

I thought I posted that before with the manufacturer question, my apologies for missing that part.

I am not understanding the statement:

"I'm trying to remember which switches won't be changed because they're not for LED lights, but mostly ones in closets come to mind."

I thought this was about only 2 switches to the bedroom recessed lighting fixtures and LED's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh you can ignore that statement, it was really just a bit of thinking out loud partially explaining my hesitation to whole-heartedly agree to swap over to non-Lutron at the drop of a hat. Any remaining old Lutron switches would stand out as visible incompatibilities with the new switch type. And yes, this one question is about just 2 switches, but these are a few more questions about a few more switches waiting behind this one , and whatever decision is made about switch type now will pertain across all of the solutions.For this one question I happen to have the model number, because I happen to have an extra bulb and therefore have its box. For my other questions, much to my chagrin, I don't have the model numbers because I don't have the boxes - they were all thrown away (I could kill!...The boxes have SOOO much information....) But for this one case anyway: the TCP# ***** ***** and the ITEM# ***** *****
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks.

We will need the number for the others, as that is what the manufacturers use for referencing dimmer compatibility.

The RLP3014W3OKD. is the number they would use on those, so a similar number on the others would be the correct one to find.

I will start with the one posted, but the same dimmer will may not work for any others

Normally it is written right on the bulbs.

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Ok, looked up the bulb number posted and the following works with them

Caseta Wall Dimmer for bulbs listed RLP3014W3OKD

With the remote

Remote to match with the Caseta Dimmer

Dimmer that works with the bulbs as well with no remote
MACL-153M ---------CLICK HERE

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Below is the TCP chart to show the above reference

Related Electrical Questions