Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am building single a box - with four lights and four

Customer Question

I am building single a box - with four lights and four separate toggle switches. A separate switch for each light. The lights and toggle switches I purchased do not have a ground wire. I need help attaching them to a single power cord. Can you assist? Thx. Randy P.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For context, the box I am building is a speech timing light for Toastmasters. Four separate color lights indicate how much time the speaker has left.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hi Randy. I can help you with your project.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

When you bring your power cord into the box, connect the neutral from the cord to ALL of the white tails coming from the light sockets. The black tails from the light sockets will connect to one terminal on the switches. So, grab a black lead from a light, and pick a terminal on the adjacent switch to connect it to (either terminal). Then, copy the first one when you wire in each of the next three.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Lastly, use the hot wire from the power cord to feed each switch. Ideally, you should make a short "tail" of wire for the remaining terminal on each of the 4 switches. Connect one end of this short piece of wire to the switch, and the other end will splice to the hot wire from the power cord. That splice will end up with 5 wires in it. One wire will come from the cord, and the other 4 will each come from a switch. Use a wire nut to make the splice.