Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I'am bldg a house i'm putting a 400 amp system in but I want

Customer Question

I'am bldg a house i'm putting a 400 amp system in but I want to go back farther on my land how far in feet can I go to get to a 200 amp system thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. It would be easier to give you the information if you told me how far you want to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'am not sure at least 200 ft more if we can
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You need to give me s specific distance from the pole to the house, not 200 ft more. More than what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From pole 110 ft put in power co. Elect. Box than they say I have 120ft to box in house rated at 370 amp from there i only need a 200 amp box but I don't know how far from there the wire causes the amps to go dn to 200 amps I don't know how to explain it any better if you need more info just text me back I will try .I thought maybe there's a formula thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

There is a program electricians use. Knowing the distance, type of wire and size of the required service it calculates the wire size. I need the distance you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
250 ft thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You'll need 400MCM Aluminum for that distance. A 400A system would need 500MCM, so you can use what was speced for 250ft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Let me suggest that you do the service in PVC conduit.to avoid a failure in the future. Cheap insurance.