Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I hung a ceiling fan with lite, no problem. The next lite

Customer Question
over sink, I can get...
I hung a ceiling fan with lite, no problem. The next lite over sink, I can get to come on but not work by switch (lite stays on) I have 3 black, 3 white and a red wire.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/21/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide some more details of what work was performed?

You changed a light fixture out for a ceiling fan with light?

Any work with the sink light or switches?

Are the switches all in the same box?

The wires and colors posted are where? Ceiling box?

As much detail on what took place before the problem will help to evaluate the situation.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

An electrician wired a box for ceiling fan where previously there was none. This was when we had to have ceiling replaced. At that time they took lite out over sink. I was putting up a new one. He said he left connected wires as found. There were 3 whites (1 which had a piece of red tape on it) and they were capped off together. 3 black wires capped off together and then 1 white wire hanging by itself with a piece of blue tape on it. The switch is on the wall just operates this light. Thanks, Don

There were 3 whites (1 which had a piece of red tape on it) and they were capped off together. 3 black wires capped off together and then 1 white wire hanging by itself with a piece of blue tape on it.

All of that is at the sink light box?

How is the sink light connected to the house wiring?

It was previously working fine. Yes all that is at box above sink. This wiring is all running together through ceiling? Because if wires disconnected a lose another light in kitchen. If you think we need to talk I can call.

I need to know 2 things at the moment and they make talke care of the situation.

1. How is the light connected tot he house wiring in the box?

2. Look at the switch with the cover off and see what color wires are connected to the switch.

Let me know.

Thanks

There is a white wire connected to the switch. I not sure what you mean by question 1.. Thanks
Sorry, white and black at switch on wall

Ok, thanks.

The first question was how the light fixture is connected to the house wiring, but that will not matter now, we have the info needed.

The blue tape is signifying that the white is a switched leg of power, so you will do this:

Take the black wire on your light fixture and connect to the White wire in the box WITH THE BLUE TAPE

Take the white wire on the fixture and add it to the bundle of 3 white wires in the box

If the fixture has a ground wire, you will connect it to any bare ground wires in the box.

That will get the light operating off the switch.

Let me know nay difficulties,

Tahnks

Tommy, I did what you wrote but it's not working. Of course I turn off breaker when doing but I don't twist wires tight. So I separated the fixture black from the white/blue, and I still have the other lights on. Only when I separated the white did I lose the other light. Does this mean anything?

Ok,

I dont have all the information here it appears.

Please state exactly what the problem is in the situation.

I was understanding we were dealing with one light fixture but you are posting about some others, so I am nit sure what the problem is now.,

I cannot get the light fixture above the sink to operate by the switch on the wall. I can get it to stay on as if I hard wired it. I have no issues with the other light. I only thought if the leg of power was disconnected from everything I would have lost my other light. I didn't mean to throw a red herring in. But I did connect the black wire from fixture to white /blue in box. I also connected white from fixture to 3 white (1 with red tape).. Other 3 black are still capped off together. Doesn't work. Thanks, don

Ok, Don.

Something is very strange with those wires, another white with red tape is not normal..

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?

We will need one to measure the power and find the correct wires to the switch

We will have to determine where all the wires go now, the light should have worked no problem based on the information, so something appears to have been changed from original.

I don't have tester right now, I will get one. This is maddening. I've hung many, many light fixtures. We just moved here to rural N.C., from Chicago. I took that white wire with red tape as a red wire, and when you look on line there's a ton of different answers about it. All the other ones I've done were white and black and blue wires with a ground. Thanks
Then do I ask for you when I get back or......?

Ok, you can bookmark the page for easy return, this will be still be here for us to continue.

When you stated you thought the white with red tape made it a red wire, does that mean that you put that wire with the other whites?

Look around, as there must be something else in the home that is not working with that white wire and blue tape unconnected also.

Ok, I'll look around and get back to you..thanks

Ok, very good. Thanks

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician