Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I recently installed a ceiling fan in my living room.

Customer Question
Hello - I recently installed...
Hello - I recently installed a ceiling fan in my living room. However, it seems to have affected another circuit associated with my upstairs outlets/lighting. Its odd because the ceiling fan and living room outlets are on a separate circuit from the Upstairs lights and outlets. Since installing the fan, the upstairs lights go out completely or, in some cases, are very dim. Then today the upstairs fire alarm went off, again, I assume, because of the power loss. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/19/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. In as much as the problem started with the installation of the ceiling fan, I suggest checking the connections in the ceiling outlet. Your description indicates a loose connection. If you have a 2 wire voltage tester, you can test to find out if the hot or the neutral is where the bad connection is.

Im confused as to why the ceiling outlet wiring would affect upstairs lighting
If there is a loose connection wouldn't the fan itself not be operating correctly? The fan is working fine.

When a circuit is installed, it runs from box to box. The connection leaving that box more than likely has a loose wire which doesn't affect anything connected ahead of it. Your description of the issue points to that conclusion. Got to check it.

ok thank you. I understand what you are saying

If you have a tester, you can test a dead outlet when it happens to know which connection to look for the failure at. Let me know and I'll tell you how.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician