Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I installed a brand new electric circuit in a basement that

Customer Question
I installed a brand new...
I installed a brand new electric circuit in a
basement that is comprised of 9 outlets in parallel and I installed an
AFCI breaker 15Amp for a Rec room. My reason for installing a
AFCI was because the owner intends installing his LED TV and
sound system etc. But my problem is that every time I turned on a
device i.e.: a fan or my working light the breaker trips. The curious thing
is that if I put my circuit tester on it works perfectly. So I started to
troubleshoot the problem by putting a regular Siemens 15 amp
breaker and it worked just find. All the devices were operating normally. So I bought another ACFI Breaker and installed it. It is doing the same thing ? what is the problem? I asked myself Is the Breaker most probably defective or is it working
normally. So I bought another ACFI Breaker and installed it. It is
doing the same thing ? what is the problem ? Is the Breaker most
probably defective again or am-I missing something? Should I use another ty
type of Circuit Protection like a surge protector or could be related to my wiring?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/18/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Having used 2 AFCI breakers with same results would indicate that there is a connection arcing in the circuit. This could be caused by the use of push back connections on the devices. Only sctew terminations should be used. I suggest removing all loads plugged in. Take an extension cord with a large load connected and start plugging it in from the first outlet. When the breaker trips. The bad connection will be in that outlet or the one just ahead of it.

Hi Mike,
I will be doing the troubleshooting tomorrow however I find very peculiar that when I installed the regular or standard breaker everything worked just fine. I reinstalled the new ACFI Breaker and it tripped as soon as I turned on my working LED lights. I resetted the breaker it tripped again as soon as I plugged a standard desk top fan.

Follow my instructions and isolate the outlet with the bad connection. The reason for AFCI protection is what you are experiencing, arcing only gets worst and could result in a fire.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician