Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I just finalized wiring the same breaker shown on this web

Customer Question
page, Square D Homeline...
I just finalized wiring the same breaker shown on this web page, Square D Homeline (50 amp 2 pole GFCI Hot Tub/Pool/Spa Pack), outside, in a separate box (provided as one unit) near the tub. I pulled a Romex 4 wire 2 load a neutral and ground, #6 wire, from my home main box to a standard 50 amp breaker inside that box. the Neutral wire from the main box neutral bar and solid ground wire to the ground bar in the main box. The Neutral wire from my breaker box in the house was connected to the neutral bar inside this secondary GFCI Box. I also connected the "pigtail" from this new gfci breaker to the neutral bar as indicated in this web page in in the instructionsl. In this configuration, the new breaker "trips" with the neutral wire from the house. However, when I remove the neutral wire from the house from the neutral bar in the secondary breaker, the breaker does not trip and the power is on and everything works fine. My question is, if this works this way where is the Neutral wire from the house supposed to go? BTW I do have the ground bar attached to the ground from the house to the ground bar in the secondary box then to the to the tub. Thanks in advance for your advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/17/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The neutral is isolated from the ground after the main service. Make sure there isn't a bond screw or any contact with the ground, both in the disconnect or the tub.

The house neutral should only connect to the breaker pigtail. The tub neutral connects to the terminal on the breaker.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician