Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have an OLD 20 amp BUSS fuses 4 fuse fuse box that

Customer Question

I have an OLD 20 amp BUSS fuses 4 fuse fuse box that controls 4 different quadrants of a duplex.
one quadrant just went out and it is not because fuse blew out. Its like the fuse box needs to be reset but the fuse box is so ancient, there is no obvious way to do it. I have pictures of it if it will help.
On the side it says 15AMP PER01R
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter to take a few voltage measurements at the dead wall receptacles?

2) Do you have ungrounded 2 prong receptacles or 3 prong grounded receptacles in the home?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I'm not electrician. Everything is been working fine for years. Nothing is changed at all. The flow of the house shouldn't have changed. It probably got overloaded by something. Is there a way to reset the box
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) You mentioned that the fuse did not blow. Therefore, there was no overload or short on the circuit.

2) Fuses are not resettable. They are either blown due to an overload or short circuit or they work.

3) You need an AC voltmeter to measure and confirm voltages. Most likely, there is a loose hot or loose neutral on the circuit that is causing the problem. Need a voltmeter to 1st determine the presence of voltage leaving the fuse panel as well as at the devices. If no voltmeter available, you're guess is as good as mine:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

1) An AC voltmeter is the most required testing instrument to troubleshoot any electrical problem.

Perhaps you can borrow one from a neighbor or friend? You can also purchase a good meter for less than $25.00 at any Home Depot or Lowe's. If not, then I recommend to contact a local licensed electrician. The 1st thing any electrician will do on a troubleshooting service call is to start taking voltage measurements so they know what they are looking for.