Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I'm getting 2 quotes to install a 16kw Generac propane whole

Customer Question

I'm getting 2 quotes to install a 16kw Generac propane whole house back up generator. One contractor says he'll "remove existing 200 amp feeder wires from the meter to the panel box and install new 4 wire 200 amp load side system to conform with N.E.C. requirements". The other contractor says "we will not need to replace any feeder wires from the meter to the house panel. Everything will be done at the meter pedestal in the yard".
Not sure who to believe.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The transfer switch will need to be configured as a downstream sub-panel from the main panel. In order to be NEC compliant, all sub-panels are required to be a 4 wire feeder circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor. Thus a 4 wire feeder circuit to the transfer switch panel from the main panel is required.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks............Kevin!