Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

We have double wide trailer built in 1998 that we are having

Customer Question
Hi Rich. We have double...
Hi Rich. We have double wide trailer built in 1998 that we are having some electrical issues with. At first the lights would just dim and then come back up. Then all the power in master bedroom and bathroom went out for few minutes and then came back on. We have had two electricians check it out and they can't find anything wrong. Plus had the electric company come out and check their side. Everything was good. Do you think it might possibly be the junction box? The master bedroom and bathroom are on the same side.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/12/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Were the dimming of lights throughout both sides of the double wide or only on one side?

2) Did the local electrical utility pull their meter and check the LINE & LOAD side connections at the meter can to make sure the lugs were properly tightened and torqued?

3) Did the electricians check for proper lug tightening and torquing of the service entrance conductors at the main breaker as well as the main neutral conductor on the panel neutral bus bar?

4) Does the home have a main service disconnect located on the exterior of the home or is the main service disconnect the main breaker located in the main electrical panel?

5) Double wide trailers will typically have a junction box located on the underside of the home and this connects the 2 sides of the double wide. Not sure if your home has an underside connection box or not?

Have either of the previous electricians check this junction box (if applicable)?

6) Is the utility service to the home underground or overhead?

7) Were there any signs of arcing or burnt or corrosion marks on any of the lug terminations either inside the meter can or the main panel?

Reply back to me and we can take it from there..............Thanks.............Kevin!

1. Both sides of the double wide.

2.Yes the electrical company did.

3. Yes both did

4. The main service disconnect can be done outside at the meter or inside in the breaker box.

5. No the junction box was not checked by either electrician.

6.The service from the electric company to the house is above ground and then from the pole into the house is underground.

7. No signs of arcing, burnt or corrosion anywhere.

Thank you for the replies.

1) I suggest that the junction box that joins both sides of the double wide be checked for any loose wire connections or splices.

2) If any portions of the service are overhead and there is a riser mast with a drop loop for the service entrance conductors, there will either be a split bolt connector or a compression fitting that needs to be checked at the 3 service entrance conductors. One loose connection is all it takes for dimming problems to start.

3) In addition, the grounding wires also need to be checked to make sure of no loose grounding connections. Depending upon how the home is grounded, there should be a ground connection to an exterior ground and/or a ground connection to the cold water supply piping (if metal pipe) as it enters the home near the water meter.

4) Voltage measurements should also be taken from the Neutral to Ground.

N to G voltage should always be at (0) zero volts or very close to (0) zero volts. Anything voltage higher than a few volts on a branch circuit indicates a faulty neutral termination.

Thank you.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin!

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor