Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am replacing a ceiling fan. There are 2 black 2

Customer Question
red(capped) and 2 white capped...
I am replacing a ceiling fan. There are 2 black 2 red(capped) and 2 white capped in he electrical box. I have 2 different wall switches to control the fan/light. The old fan didn't work how I wanted. You had to have the light on for the fan to work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and temporarily back the 2 wall switches out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires. How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to each wall switch?

2) Are the 2 ceiling black wires spliced or individual wires and not spliced together?

3) Does the replacement fan also have a light kit?

4) Any chance that you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet an AC voltmeter available?

I do not have a volt meter. The new fan didn't, fit and am trying to reconnect the old one. I never touched the red wires they are connected in the box in the ceiling with a wire nut. There are two black wires two white wires in the box and a white red and black wire on the fan. When I reconnected how I thought it came out I popped the circuit breaker. I have tried CF red to box black. CF black to other black andCF white to both whites. Doesn't work correctly. I tried both CF red and black together with both box blacks and all 3 whites together and circuit breaker popped

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) Rather than trying the various wire combinations by trial & error and tripping the circuit breaker, I suggest obtaining a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter. The tester will be able to confirm what you have in place and make things go much faster rather than a trial & error method. Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a friend or a neighbor? If not, you can purchase a decent AC voltmeter at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $25.00.

2) Can you turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and temporarily back the 2 wall switches out from the wall box but do not disconnect any wires. How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to each wall switch? I need to know the wire colors that land on the switches as this needs to be confirmed?

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor