How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7536
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have three phase 208 power in my restaurant and want to

Customer Question

I have three phase 208 power in my restaurant and want to hook up a residential range (240) and a 208 single phase fryer to the same circuit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The 240V range will work on 208V but will not reach the full heat on the elements. As far as putting them on the same circuit, I suggest that each appliance be on its own. The overcurrent protection would be exact for indipendant circuits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so I have four wires on the 208 three phase what wires go to the residential stove and what wires to the 208v single phase fryer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are three breakers for this circuit could I not separate the breaker and use one for the stove and one for the oven as they are 240 and 208 repspectively?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant one for the oven and one for the fryer
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The range will need 4 wires. 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground, should be on a 50A circuit. The fryer will have 2 hots and a ground and possibly a neutral depending on the nameplate information. The size of its circuit depends on the nameplate info also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is going on a three phase 208 circuit each leg has 208 so using 2 hots will be too much voltage?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Using 2 hots from the 3 phase is single phase. The stated voltage is using the 2 hots.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Each leg has 208V to another leg, not a total. It will have 120V to neutral and ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need to run a ground and neutral to us the three phase circuit as right now it has three hots..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You'll need a neutral and ground for the range. If you give me the nameplate info on the fryer, I tell you what is required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't have the fryer yet still checking can I get back to you after I find the 208 single phase fryer?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Come back when you're ready to continue.

Related Electrical Questions