Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I was installing a new light bulb in our kitchen light. I

Customer Question

I was installing a new light bulb in our kitchen light. I accidentally used a ceiling fan bulb. Needless to say it was to small and as soon as it hit the bottom of the socket, there was a flash and all three light went dead. The light is not working at all. I checked the wires at the connection and I didn't see any burn marks. Should I check the dimmer switch next?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?

2) What type of light bulb was originally installed in the kitchen light? An incandescent type or CFL or LED?

3) Did you drop the light fixture and perform a visual inspection of the wire nut splices to make sure none are loose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an ac voltage tester.A 60 watt 120 volt incandescent.Yes I dropped and all is well in the box. No loose connections
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) I would be suspicious of a loose wire connection since you had an arc flash. An arc flash is caused by a loose wire connection. A loose wire may either reside at the house wire nut splices or within the light fixture or at the dimmer switch. These are the 3 most common areas to check.

2) In order to confirm if the dimmer switch is working correctly and to verify that voltage is getting to the light fixture sockets, an AC voltage tester (a contact type with a 2 wire lead) is necessary. Perhaps you can borrow one from a neighbor or a friend? Or a good voltmeter can be purchased at any Home Depot or Lowe's for around $25.00. As a homeowner and if ever performing electrical work, an AC voltmeter should always be readily available. Without a voltmeter, it can become a time consuming guessing game as to where the problem is.

If you can obtain a meter, I can easily walk you thru the troubleshooting process as it is very simple to confirm the voltage. Let me know if you can obtain a meter and we can take it from there.............Thanks..............Kevin!