Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I'm trying to replace a dimmer. Both are levetron one says

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to replace a dimmer. Both are levetron one says 1A24l1. It was there and working and I am replacing one that has no numbers on it from levetron that was right beside the 1A24l1. Under a double faceplate. It looked like they were hooked in series. The other dimmer has one Rd and Blk together and a green on the bottom. The new one i'm using to replace (1A25l1) has two blk together on top and a green on the bottom.. I replaced the old one with this one but nothing happened when I turned the power back on. Does it matter which of the two black wires I hook to the wires. I hooked it up exactly like the other one. Do I just switch the wires or will this not work?
JIM
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do both dimmers reside on the same circuit or different circuits?

2) How many total house wires and the wire colors in the switch box (excluding any pigtail jumper wires)?

3) Any groups of black wires spliced together with a wire nut? Any groups of white wires spliced together with a wire nut?

4) How many switches in the wall box, just the 2 dimmers?

5) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?