How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 200 amp panel. There is a 50 amp breaker in it

Customer Question

I have a 200 amp panel. There is a 50 amp breaker in it for my electric range which I am going to replace. The existing range is a GE double oven with an integrated vent. They don't make those anymore. So the replacement is a standard range requiring a 30 amp circuit and the sales guy says the over oven microwave/vent also needs 30 amps. Seems I'm shot 10 amps on that circuit on the panel Can I merely replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60, then split the circuit at the wall to run a new outlet up top for the new microwave?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist

Can you get the Model number of the oven/microwave combination unit, so that the full specifications can be obtained?

Can you also look at the cable that connects to the breaker or at the oven now and see if you can find any writing on the outside of the cable insulation?

That information should help to determine what the situation is and what needs to be done.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The replacement unit would be an LG LDE3037ST with either LG's LMH2235ST or GE's JVM3160RFSS over oven microwave/exhaust fan.I'll check the cable tonight and add to this so hold off on responding until then. Thanks!
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. Just checked the items

You are not doing the combo unit, but putting in a standard over the range microwave.

Those are 120 volts 20 amps maximum.

You install a receptacle in the cabinet above them and then plug them into the receptacle

It will not connect to your oven cable.

PLUS, the oven is a standard also, you will need the full 50 amps to supply the receptacle in order to plug the oven in.

Dont know what sales person provided the information, but they are very mistaken

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay sounds good. Just what I need to know.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

Ok, very good. Glad to assist on the situation.

The models helped greatly to clarify the situation, thanks for those