Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have two Minka Aire Concept I wet ceiling fans that are

Customer Question

I have two Minka Aire Concept I wet ceiling fans that are wired to the same circuit breaker. I would like to use separate remotes to control each. The receivers in the fans are "Learn-Receivers". To pair the frequency of the remote to the receiver, the instructions say to turn off the power then turn it back on, hold a button on the remote control to teach the receiver the frequency. My problem is that if they are both on the same circuit breaker, I can never program the fans separately. They just both pair to the newest remote control frequency. Is there some way the "shield" the first receiver, while the second receiver is being programed?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Try programing one fan and turn it off after

Now program the second fan. The first one shouldn't be affected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't turn off the first fan without also turning off the second one. They are on the same circuit breaker.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Turn the remote off on the first fan after programing. Then power off the circuit to program the second. Turn it off at the remote when programed and the check the first one for operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I "turn off the remote", by pulling the battery out if it?This will work when the receiver is a "learned" receiver in the fan (and the remote is the programable transmitter with the dip switches? Won't the first fan reprogram to the second remote when it also receives the new command to "learn" a new transmitter frequency?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Try the sequence given first. If it doesn't work. The try programing the first fan, leave it with the fan and light on, turn the breaker off and on, program the second fan. Now try each fan to see if the respond only from their remotes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll try it.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. Let me know how you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither of those things worked. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I sent an email to Minkair for specific instructions and will let you know when they respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found another work-around last night and both fans seem to be working well now.
Had to disconnect the power wires on the first fan while programing the second fan, then rewire the first fan. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks for your suggestions. That was a tricky one.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Very good.