Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I own a home just moved in partially yesterday.. tried

Customer Question
putting the outside lights on....
I own a home just moved in partially yesterday.. tried putting the outside lights on.. *Click* No light turned it off and took the bulb out.. it was burned and the other broke inside the light... Darn.. got light bulbs today and I only turned on the one
that I replaced (not the broken one) with a new bulb I go in to turn the light on *click* look out Nothing.. What should I do? Call an electrician?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/28/2015
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
I wouldn't call an electrician just yet. That could be fairly costly. Do you have, or can you get, a volt meter? Would you be comfortable using it to take a voltage reading on the wires feeding the light fixture?
I don't have a volt meter.. I am comfortable trying anything new. I am a new home owner.. so I will try anything once.. how much does a Volt Meter cost.. do I need to take the light fixture off to test wires?

You will need to remove the light fixture, or at least the screws that hold it up. If it isn't too heavy, you can let it hang by the wires, particularly if it has a bare ground wire from the house attached to it. A basic volt meter costs about $20. If you would like to get a meter and then consult with me over the phone, we could do that tomorrow. There is a very small additional fee for the phone consultation.

OK so you want me to talk to you about buying a volt meter on the phone for $18.00? when a volt meter costs about $20.00 hmmmm
I wasn't aware that a phone call is $18. They don't make the experts here privy to that info. I was thinking the phone call would be much faster than the back and forth typing. But whatever you prefer is fine. Either way, we will still save you considerable money over bringing in an electrician to fix the problem.

The phone call is to walk through the troubleshooting process, not so much about buying a meter.

Oh ok so when I get the Volt meter call you?

Yes. But I work full time away from this site. This is side work for most of the electricians here. I would be available around 5 PM Central Time. Would that work for you?

I will be unable to do it tomorrow though.. Sunday? Monday?

If Saturday is not good, Sunday would work well for me. I attend 2 church services on Sundays, but I have a pretty open afternoon on Sundays.

Sunday would be better the moving crew will be here all Saturday with tons of furniture and boxes...

I understand. I just went through that myself, a year ago. Moved 900 miles, to a place where we knew no one.

In thinking about the problem... how much do you like the light fixture that isn't working? Is it wall mounted, or ceiling mounted? Most exterior fixtures these days, unless they are very ornate, aren't extremely expensive. You may want to pick one up while you are picking out your meter. If we end up not needing it, you could return it. Or, you may decide to use it anyway.

If you want to post a picture of the fixture, that may be helpful as well.

its the outside kind theres 2 of them.. I can try to take a picture..

OK. Sounds good. I'll probably soon sign off for the night. Do you want to just plan to meet back here Sunday?

Sure we will meet here Sunday.. I will take pictures tomorrow..

Great. Just reply when ready Sunday. I'm usually here from about noon until 5 or so (Central Time). If you reply when I am away, I'll respond as soon as I log on. Looking forward to helping you resolve it.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician