Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a question about installing ceiling fan.

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been waiting for a reply for over 30 minutes FYI.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many total house wires in the ceiling box and the wire colors?

2) Will the fan be controlled by a wall switch or fan pull chains or both?

3) If a wall switch, how many wires on the switch and the wire colors?

4) Any chance that you have an AC voltmeter available as this will make things much easier to confirm?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. A thunderstorm was passing thru while typing and I lost power and Internet connection. In answer to your questions1). 4 wires at the ceiling box. Black, white, ground, and red2). Fan is controlled by wall switch only. No pull chain, no remote, no attached light fixture.3). At wall switch, here are 4 switches. The switch for the fan has 2 black wires with one of them attached to its neighboring switch. A red wire above the black wires, and the green/ground on he other side.4). Yes I have a voltmeter.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the replies.,,, no problem, all is good.

1) Set the voltmeter to the AC voltage setting and use the 200 volt range. With the wall switch in the ON position, measure for 120 volts from the house ceiling black to the house white neutral. Also measure from the house ceiling red to the house ceiling white neutral. Either the ceiling black or ceiling red should be the switched loop wire and the voltage should go from 0 volts when the switch is OFF and to 120 volts when the switch is ON.

Let me know which ceiling wire measures the toggling 120 volts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My voltmeter doesn't do that. It only measures if the wire is hot or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you just call me. I'll pay the $18 fee. My cell phone is(###) ###-#### Thanks, Chris
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Chris, I can certainly call you on the phone but I will need to 1st submit to you the additional services offer for the telephone call.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** at this time. Chris
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

No problem Chris.

Reply back if you still need assistance on the problem........Thanks.........Kevin