Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an NID box outside my trailer and ordered dsl from

Customer Question
Verizon but need to hook...
I have an NID box outside my trailer and ordered dsl from Verizon but need to hook up there modem when it gets here...I don't think the wiring is set up right on the NID box
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
8/24/2015
Electrician: machinc, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician

I wilk have your answer in a few moments.

The modem plugs into a standard
Rj11 telephone jack.
You have to run a standard telephone wire from the outside pole
To the inside of your trailer. The modem has to be installed indoors.
You will need a 120v power source.
The modem will have the proper jacks
(Usb) (ethernet ) to plug in your computer or WIFI.
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Machinc
I understand the modem part but my question is on the wiring of the modem to the junction box...there are 4 screws that are suposed to be color coded and the are not...the pic I sent you shows those screws to the right of the white cord...can I use cat5 wire instead of standard phone wire from the box to the modem?
Cat 5 will work fine.
The white cord in the box will
kill ( disconnect) the station wire screws
When it is unplugged
That would be the red/ green.
terminals.
If you have existing service (dial tone)
The line would connect to the same red green
Terminals.
If you are getting data as an additional
line they will replace your outside box with
A two line one.
The Customer/ station wire side is usually
clearly marked but I dont see that in the picture.
If you have a dial tone test set you can test the unmarked
terminals.. When you unplug the cord they should
go dead.
If you are just adding data service to your existing
phone service and putting the modern where the phone
is you dont have to connect anything outside.
If you are running it to a different location inside connect
the cat5 wire to the red green terminals if there is room
or any active terminals that go dead when you unplug
the white cord.
Machinc
.
Note/
The terminals are in pairs and should be placed
in close proximity of each other if not marked.
Usually user the removable or flip up
grey plastic cover.
Machinc
In the pic I sent they have hooked up the yellow and black wire instead of red and green at the terminals...the red and green wire are not hooked to anything. ...the problem is they are not sending a tech out...it's self installation. ......maybe I should just call you

Before you go to that expense lets go through a check list first.

Machinc

Where the screws that are on Verizon outside box...do I have to hard wire a regular phone jack to those screws...then when I get Verizon modem/router I can plug one end from back of modem to the telephone jack on the Verizon outside box?

The modem has to go inside. It does not install to the outside box.

You connect it to a new or the existing phone jack inside the trailer. It cannot be outside.

...

I understand the modem goes inside...I'm asking you the wire from the modem (inside) to the verizon box outside...that's where I'm not sure to hook up the dsl connection wires

The wire from the inside goes to the red green terminals in the box outside

If you have an existing telephone the DSL and the telephone share the same two wires. It uses the same two for both. The DSL service is on top of the phone service. The "MODEM" is what separates the two.

machinc

Hope im making it clear. Its an unusual concept for most . Two different functions on the same pair of wires at the same time.

machinc
machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician