Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I installed a ceiling fan about a week ago with a light kit…

Customer Question
I installed a ceiling fan...
I installed a ceiling fan about a week ago with a light kit that came with the fan. I also bought a remote control for the fan and light. I also had a switch that when I turned on the switch the remote control would operate the fan and light when I used the remote control. Everything was working fine for about a week. Then one day I noticed the outlet in the next room wasn't working and then I checked the fan and it also wasn't working. I checked the breaker and it wasn't flipped off. I checked and I have no power coming from the ceiling for the fan. I checked the wiring for the switch for the fan and when I touch my tester to the bare ground wire and then to the white side of the the switch the light comes on. So my bare ground wire is now the HOT wire. What happened?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
On the circuit I have an end outlet then a middle outlet then anther outlet that has a fan/light dimmer switch and a rocker switch in it. Then another light switch and an outlet, then another outlet in the next room and then the fan switch and then the fan in the ceiling. The rocker on the box with the fan/light dimmer switch is apparently on another circuit, because I have power to it when I turn off the other circuit that isn't working. Also my doorbells aren't working Can some of the receptacles have black wires inserted in the back on the brass side and also on the brass screws also?
8/23/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Lets start back at the original outage on the receptacle and fan.

The problem is you have, is not the ground being hot, but the neutral (white wire) is loose on the circuit.

When the white wire becomes loose, it will show as a hot, the ground is just that, a ground that allows you to read voltage.

Pull the receptacle that was originally out and redo the wires on the receptacle, using only the side screws, NO back stabs.

Back stabs will always eventually fail.

After the receptacle, putt the switch out of the box, leave it wired, and look in the rear of the box for the white wires all bundled together and redo that connection.

Do the same for the fan at the ceiling and all its white wires.

Post results and wee can go further to get you going, but if we start at the original problem locations and work forward it is best.

Keep me posted,

Thanks

Sorry for the long time without getting back to you. I have had computer problems and not able to use my computer.
My problem was one of the outlets was wired for the fan in my family room to be turned on with a switch to make the outlet live for the fan to work. This is not the fan I installed in my living room. Considerable re-wiring had to be done.