Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a situation in a hotel corridor where the hotel

Customer Question

I have a situation in a hotel corridor where the hotel engineer is replacing a bad ballast in a flush ceiling mount fluorescent fixture. They turn the power off to make the repair. When they turn the power back on then two different fixtures will blow their ballasts. What do you think is the problem? It's on going...
Thank you for your help.
TP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. You need to disconnect the failed ballast and test the voltage on the feeds at each. Let me know the reading.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, so you think it is a voltage surge problem-that's what I thought. Could it be anything else like how the boxes are wired on the circuit?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

From the info on changing out a fluorescent for a surface fixture and then having the problem, I suspect a midwife at the new fixture.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

typo= miswire