Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 3 phase 280V diesel generator. Can I use if phase

Customer Question
I have a 3 phase...
I have a 3 phase 280V diesel generator. Can I use if for single phase also? Can I convert it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
8/20/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and will be glad to assist you. Are you certain the the voltage isn't 208V and not 280V?

I have not run a meter on it, but the generator plate has 280 on it. I was expecting to see 208

It would help to see the name plare. Can you upload a picture? The basic answer to your question is yes you can use it for single phase. 3 legs connected is 3 phase. 2 legs connected is single phase. If the voltage needs to be reduced a transformer would be needed.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician