Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

CAN I USE 12 GA 30 VOLT RATED .030 MIL INSULATION 120 VOLT

Customer Question

CAN I USE 12 GA 30 VOLT RATED .030 MIL INSULATION FOR A 120 VOLT HOME INSTALLATION?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Can you elaborate on the project? Are you installing a 120 volt wall receptacle or something other?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I AM INSTALLING A WHOLE HOUSE WIRING. THE POINT IS THAT THE OWNER HAS A SPOOL OF 12 GA 30 VOLT RATED .030 MIL INSULATION YELLOW TRACER WIRE FOR GAS PIPE.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the replies and confirmation.
1) Unfortunately, you can't install that wire on a 120 volt circuit since it does not meet the National Electrical Code. Two reasons. Number one it is only rated for a maximum of 30 volts. Reason number two is that the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires specific wire colors for the 120 volt branch circuits. A yellow tracer conductor is not compliant with the NEC color code.
2) For a 120 volt circuit, the wiring must be rated at 600 volts and the exterior insulation must be rated as type "THHN" or "THWN" or a combination rating of "THHN/THWN".
3) If the circuit is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker, you will require 14 AWG Copper, type "THHN" or "THWN" or a combination rating of each. If the circuit is protected by a 20 amp circuit breaker, you will require 12 AWG Copper, type "THHN" or "THWN" or a combination rating of each.
Shown in the link below is typical 14 AWG Copper wire that is used for 120 volt circuits protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-500-ft-14-1-Stranded-THHN-Wire-Black-22955958/203401613
Shown in the link below is typical 12 AWG Copper wire that is used for 120 volt circuits protected by a 20 amp circuit breaker:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-500-ft-12-1-Solid-THHN-Wire-White-11588158/203401606
4) If the wire will be installed in a conduit system, either the solid or stranded versions are code compliant.
5) If not installing the wire in a conduit system, then similar wire sizes and insulation types can be found in NM Romex and MC Metal Clad cable assemblies.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.