How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7494
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 meter, looking to add 3rd- a landlord meter. SHould

Customer Question

i have 2 meter, looking to add 3rd- a landlord meter. SHould i go with 200 amp or 150 amp. If 200 amp upgrade will need 3 new meter pans. If 150 only 1 ne meter pan. What is the cost difference?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you.

Residential or commercial?

What loads are there?

Overhead or underground service?

If overhead is it a cable or mast riser?

Where are you located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Residential. overhead. Just purchase multifamily house,1000 sq ft in each unit. load will be under 150 amp. Electrician said 150 is more expensive than 200 amps.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

A house meter and panel doesn't have to be more than 60Amps. 100A is the minimum for a residential service and is size up from there depending on the load. A house service usually powers common lights, heat and AC if not on tenant services and receptacles for maintenance not in the apartments. What type of riser do you have cable or pipe mast? Where are the disconnects or panels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nj. Current has 2 meters outside with 150 amp. Im looking to add 3rd meter. Electrician want to upgrade to 200 amps which will require 3 new meter replcement and internal basement panel to 100 amp, 100 amp, 70 amp. With 150 amp, i would only require one new meter panel.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Install a separate 100A service adjacent to the existing. No modification necessary on the existing.

Related Electrical Questions