Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Can I wire through a gfi breaker "backwards" in a sub-panel

Customer Question

can I wire through a gfi breaker "backwards" in a sub-panel to protect the entire panel? I am wiring an outdoor panel to the side of a fire department generator and I want to add a 220 vac and a 110 vac circuit. can I run the input voltage on the load side of gfi to protect the entire panel?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you

Installation of a 2 pole GFCI as a main for the panel will provide ground fault protection for all circuits. It would be better to have a GFCI breaker for each circuit. A fault in one circuit would cause a loss of power in all of them, I suggest independent GFCI's.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, this is on a military 5000w genset on a trailer. the 220 vac circuit and the 110 vac will not ever be used at the same time. the 220vac circuit will be used as stand-by power to open and close overhead doors in the event of a power outage and will be protected by its own 50 amp breaker. the 110 vac circuit will consist of 4 outlets protected by 2-20 amp breakers. we have discussed this and they decided if there is a fault in one circuit then they want all of them to shut down(?). don't ask me why but that is they want so that is what they get. I just wasn't certain that gfi's would work "backwards". thanks for your help.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Very good.