Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I had a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan installed in 2013. The fan

Customer Question
I had a Hampton Bay...
I had a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan installed in 2013. The fan works fine, via the remote. But for the last two years, the three lights on the bottom work for a bit, maybe 30 days, then two will burn out, while the same one stays on. (This fan is in a tall foyer, so it is not easy to get to. I have to bring in an 8-foot ladders and that is a stretch to change the bulbs.) This happened for the last two years. A month ago, the last of the 3 bulbs burned out and I changed all three lights. Now, all three come on, then go out after a second. (The top light that shines upward used to turn on separately from the lower bulbs, but now it comes on every time.) I thought that it may have too much wattage so I took out the 60 watt bulbs and replaced them with 40 watt ones. The same thing happened. I can't get close enough to read the model number or any ID number to give you. An electrician put it in. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
8/3/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Unfortunately, the only way to work on one to be able to access the fixture on the bottom of the fan to get to the wiring area.

A tester would be in order to measure the voltage tot he wires on the lighting fixture.

The fixture works off 2 wires and then with the testing, can find out if the wattage limiter is failing.

That is the most suspect item at this time.

Wattage limiters are required by the government to limit the bulb size in fans used. They shutdown power when they sense too much wattage.

In your case though, I suspect it is failing on and off and causing the issue, not because of too much being used.

That is the problem with these units, they fail very easily because their quality of production.

If you can get access and remove the light kit to access the wiring, we can test the wiring to that point.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Mike, Master Electrician