Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My name is shawn. I recently installed my second ceiling fan

Customer Question
Hi. My name is *****...
Hi. My name is ***** ***** recently installed my second ceiling fan in my house. I hooked it up the same as the last one ..no problem right? Well it only has a remote and the light works. After engaging the fan switch on the remote all i hear is clicking from the fan motor with no movement.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
8/3/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello Shawn.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Where is the fan remote located? Under the ceiling fan canopy cover or inside the fan motor housing?
2) Is (1) one of the wall switches connected to the remote receiver and can over ride the remote?
3) How many total wires and their wire colors in the ceiling box?
4) Any groups of ceiling box wires that are wire nutted and spliced together? Possibly a group of white wires and/or black wires? Or are all of the ceiling box wires single wires and no splices?
5) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?
6) Does the fan have 2 pull chains?
7) Did you set the 4 position DIP switch settings on the handheld transmitter the same code as the remote receiver? The DIP switch settings must be identical.
Hello.
1) receiver is in the mount housing.
2)yes I believe at least one switch is because I can turn it on/off via the wall switch
3)four wires. Black, Red, White, Bare
4) all wires are single and the red is capped off. (however the light fixture i took off had black and white wired to the light fixture.
5)I have an AC lead hooked up. I used same hook up as my last ceiling fan (it works fine) I have a voltmeter with two needles, not sure on the setting to use.
6) no pull chains.
7)no DIP switch available, unless they are inside remote/receiver
Thank you for the replies.
1) Take a look inside the battery compartment of the transmitter. If this fan model has DIP switch settings, they will be located in the battery compartment as well as the receiver. If no DIP switches, then the transmitter is synched to the receiver.
2) Can you provide me with the fan model number? I know it is a Crosswinds, but there are a variety of versions of this fan. Look at the label located on top of the motor housing and there should be a model number or the instructions will have the model number or the box will show it.
3) What are the wire colors on the fan side of the receiver? Blue, black and white?
model 40823 harbor breeze crosswinds 2
receiver wires white and black that are wired to the switch
no DP switch only to change the bulb setting
Thank you for confirming Shawn.
1) I am able to locate the fan model on Lowe's website, but unfortunately they don't provide any installation instructions.
2) Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. Perhaps other electrical experts here are familiar with this fan model. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question. Thanks!
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

I read through and did not see the total receiver information?

Please confirm.

1, The receiver is mounted in the canopy where the fan meets the ceiling or is not?

2. If in the canopy, how many wires off the receiver?

Normal is 2 that wire to power in the ceiling box, and 3 that wire from the receiver to the fan.

3. In the remote, where the battery goes, are there small switches?

I did not see that confirmation either.

Thanks

receiver mounted in mount housing
two wires off receiver, black and white
yes three wires to the fan off receiver
no switches in the remote

Ok, thanks for the information.

Please look inside the hand held remote and get the model number.

Do not be mistaken with any other numbers like FCCID or others, need the model.

Thanks

doesnt say. the remote works. The light on the fan comes on. when i push fan speed 1 on the remote I hear a click from the fan but it does not move. I may just take it back and get a new fan.

If the remote does NOT have any slide switches or the receiver installed in the canopy doesnt either, then there is a power up sequence and pairing that must be performed.

This takes place within approx 30 seconds of applying power and without this pairing, the remote would not be communicating with the fans receiver properly.

Does not mean there isnt a problem with the fan,but something that has to take place.

Do not understand why they are so secretive on the fan and remote not to have the model number, very strange.

But , did you pair the 2 together?

This is a new fan correct? Or a returned item that was purchased?

If it is new, there is book inside the box with the fan, which has the receiver pairing instructions.

If the fans book was not in the box, it may have been a returned fan that was put back on the shelf and possibly damaged.

I have see this many times with Home Depot and Lowes both, as employees do not test items

Ok, I found the manual for the Crosswinds fan.

The syncing process is posted below for the remote.

Turn the switch off for the fan and wait 2 minutes.

Then turn on the power and then proceed with the pairing as shown in the instructions.

Make sure the fan reverse switch has been switched a couple times to get it set properly and any pull chains are set on HIGH speed.

If this does not get it operating, then it has some internal issues and should be returned

sorry I just saw this. After re-connecting again. I took the P O S back to lowes, got my money back and bought a cheaper one at walmart. I hooked it up and works fine without any problems.

Ok, no problem, you have one operating now.

Lowes brand Harbor Breeze is a little more difficult to find manuals than HD's Hampton Bay brand, so it took a while to locate one.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician