Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

A light fixture I'm installing has the usual black, white,

Customer Question

A light fixture I'm installing has the usual black, white, and ground wires. It also has a 4th wire, wrapped with the black and white, and it has a clear casing. What do I do with it? Does it pair with white, or just get capped on its own?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Are you able to post a photo of the wire in question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I've attached one
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting the photo. Have you followed the wire down toward the fixture, to see if it attaches to anything? Or, can you post another photo showing the lower end of the wire, toward the fixture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just runs inside the fixture wrapped with the black and white. Picture attached.Also attached a shot of the instruction diagram where it appears to be attached with another unspecified wire.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It appears to be a supplemental ground wire. Do you have any type of multi meter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do, yes. It's not live when the hot wire is on.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
If your meter reads Ohms or continuity, can you read from the bare end of the wire in question to the metallic body of the fixture, and see how the meter reacts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only tells me voltage of the live current unfortunately
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Can you tie it in with the other two ground wires, and see if the fixture reacts adversely? It appears to be a ground wire in the instruction sheet you posted.