Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I don't know how else to describe it... but my electricity

Customer Question

I don't know how else to describe it... but my electricity seems to be running at half power. Freezer is on but won't freeze, hair dryer on high speed is more like low speed, dryer turns on but won't start, exterior flood lights dimmer than usual. This just started yesterday... I noticed it when I got home and I could tell the A/C wasn't running.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and will be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester and are willing to test in the panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But I guess I could purchase one. Also, I have a panel in my laundry room and what appears to be some kind of a box in the garage. Would the box in the garage be the "main" box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
To determine the cause of the voltage problem, without testing there is only one alternative, call an electrician. What you described is of a serious nature. Do it ASAP.
If you get a tester, I can walk you through the troubleshooting and possibly the required repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... I'm assuming I can purchase one at Home Depot?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, any home center will have them. I suggest getting a Volt/Con Tester. It doesn't require a change of settings and also does continuity. Best tester for a first time user.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... thank you. How do I contact you once I have one?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Just return as you have been doing. The question remains open.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... thank you!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.