How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Service Technician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4278
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An inspection was done on our home by a potentioal buyer,

Customer Question

Hi, an inspection was done on our home by a potentioal buyer, their inspector reported that there was no bonding bushing at the service entarance wires. Our panel was replaced by an electrcian at the time we had our pool installed it is a 42 slot 200 amp Square D HOM panel, the panel is located in the garage wall exterior and goes directly to the Meter Can with a bushing installed where the service leads come thru into the panel., is the correct or am i or the inspector missing something?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is there a metal pipe or metal nipple between the meter base and the panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes as far as I can tell is there a way to test this?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The best approach is to replace the bushing that is there with a bonding bushing. This can be done by turning off all breakers in the panel, including the main. Then, the meter would need to be removed from the meter base. That will de-energize the wires going through the unapproved bushing.
At that point, those mains can be disconnected from the breaker and the neutral bar. The existing bushing can be taken off, and replaced with a bonding bushing.
If you can get me a photo of the inside of the panel, with the entry port for the main wires shown, I'll be able to tell why the inspector failed the existing bushing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jason, I did a further examination of my Breaker Panel and I remember that the individual that installed it had problems because he matched the thru bushing from the Meter Can which placed the Panel higher in the wall, I also used a multi-meter and checked the continuity thru the bushing to the inside front face of the Meter Can with the Bushing and the Ground Bonding Screw it zeroed out with full continuity present, the bushing is metal alng with the locking nuts, there are plastic nuts at both ends of the bushing threads to allow for a smooth entrance and exit for the two 2 Awg Load wires and the one 3 Awg Common comming from the Meter Can, this should be acceptable for a 200 amp Panel, is that correct?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The wires you've described don't sound large enough for a 200 amp main breaker.
Also, did you find the bonding bushing in the meter can, or in the breaker panel?
It sounds like the inspector wants a bonding bushing in the panel itself. That would mean a metal bushing, with a grounding lug/screw, and the ground wire coming out of the pipe nipple, through the lug on the bushing, and then connecting to the ground bar.
It may be difficult to get him to approve anything else.

Related Electrical Questions