Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Jason, I have a problem with tripping outdoor lights. They

Customer Question

Hi Jason, I have a problem with tripping outdoor lights. They are 240v, the connector is underground and is designed to be so. I've dug it up, opened it, dry as a bone and when not buried, does not trip.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to post a photo of the connector here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here you go, connector is by Pratley.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting the photo. In over 20 years in the electrical industry, I've never seen a box quite like that. Is this a US installation?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I see that you are in the UK. I had to open a new window to get that info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More info for you. I place the connector underneath a ridge tile and block both ends best I can to divert water around the Connector ( South African ). There are other runs of lights which are totally fine ( 6 other such connections ). Just this one that's a pita.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'm in Nottingham
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Does the cover for the box have a gasket on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here's a bit more info for you. Sometimes it would take 10 minutes before tripping the RCD. Yes there is a gasket, it's intact and the inside of the junction box is totally dry.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Have you inspected the wire itself, near the junction box? It's possible the jacket on the wire has a small opening in it, and that's causing the short if the soil gets moist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will go check
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Here in the US, junction boxes in the ground are required to be installed so that the cover is at ground level. In other words, they aren't allowed to be completely concealed below dirt. Do you have the same Code in the UK?