Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

We just replaced are old ceiling fan with a new one it's

Customer Question

Hi, we just replaced are old ceiling fan with a new one it’s on a dimmer switch it works fine, but when we replaced the dimmer switch with Cooper Wiring Devices 15-Amp White Single Pole Decorator Light Switch Item #: 64067 | Model #: 7501W-SP-L from lowes
the fan does not work the light comes on but the fan does not work we reinstalled the dimmer switch and id works fine we don't want to use the dimmer switch can you tell me what kind of switch I should use please Thanks Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Need some more detail on the situation.1. How many wires and their colors are attached to the switch or dimmer?2. How is the fan connected to the wires in the ceiling box?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the we have 3 wires 2 black and 1 Green we have a different light switch next to the dimmer that a contractor tap into about 15 years ago the fan is connected to wires in the ceiling boxThanks
Ok, thanks.1. Since only 2 wires in the switch box for the fan, how is it wired to the switch?2. Switch has how many screws and what colors?3. The fan has black, blue and white wires coming out?How are they connected to the ceiling wires? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I will have to look but the fan works fine with the dimmer switch only when to change it to Cooper Wiring Devices 15-Amp White Single Pole Decorator Light Switch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the wires in the ceiling fan are black and white
If the fan has only a black and white wire, there is something missing here?The fan requires for 3 wires to have a separate switch for fan and light.Can you post a picture of the light switch and fan dimmer?Use the paper clip symbol on the tool bar to post pictures directly from your PC to the chat area.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I will there is Green ground wire in the ceiling fan box also
Ok,Greens are ground and they are not normally counted in the process. They just all connect together everywhere.There has to be 3 wires besides the green to make a ceiling fan operate off of 2 switches, having one for the fan and one for the light.Unless the switches are special and work with a receiver in the canopy, which then they are remote wall controls and not switches.That is the reason to see the actual dimmer and switch that was in place originally.Need to see what you actually have in place to insure compatibility.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Here are the photos It mite not be tap from the other switch the yellow box is the dimmer switch box
Ok, thanks for the pictures.Based on what is seen in the picture, there are 2 cables in the yellow box on the left, and one in the right.Looking at how the left is wired, it is original to the house and the one on the right was added.But the one on the right only having one cable cannot be sharing power from the other one since it controls the fan. There are wires missing somewhere . either a junction box in the attic or there are more than 2 wires in the ceiling box.The switch should work on the fan, the dimmer should not, it appears to be a standard light dimmer and not made for fans.Need to find the other wires and that will lead to how it is all connected.