Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Question on wire size

Customer Question

question on wire size
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need to run an outlet from my garage for my RV to plug into. The garage has an 80 amp service to it. The distance from that panel to my outlet will be minimum of 60 feet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The RV requires 30 amp 120 V. What is min size wire?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Normally a 30 amp circuit requires 10 AWG Copper. However, the voltage drop calculation results in a 3.6% VD or a loss of 4.3 volts. National Electrical Code recommends that the voltage drops be 3% or less. 2) Therefore, using 30 amps @ 120 volts on a 60 foot run results in using 8 AWG Copper which results in a 2.3% VD or a loss of 2.7 volts. Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Did my replies answer your questions?