Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a ceiling outlet with 3 white wires and 3 black wires

Customer Question

I have a ceiling outlet with 3 white wires and 3 black wires as well as one red. When trying to install a new light fixture, when turning it on at the wall it lit up the new light as well as a light in the joining room (dual switch for both fixtures). Upon different combos, all minus the red are hot. At the wall, there are 3 white and 2 black. One joining each switch.
Help.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 black on the wall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) I can't hold a video call. Will a telephone call work you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Messaging is fine. Any thoughts not the problem?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
1) Turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and back the wall switch out from the wall, but do not disconnect any wires. How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated on the switch?
2) What were the original wire splices at the ceiling box? All 3 whites were spliced together and all 3 blacks spliced together and the red was a lone wire and not spliced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the switch box there was white and black tied together.2. Thats right.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the replies but I need to know the quantity of wires that were terminated to the switch and the wire colors.
If a black was connected to a white inside the switch box, sounds like it is a splice and is wire nutted.
Any chance you have an AC voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 blacks, 3 whites in the switch box. double gang 2 switches. 1 white and 1 black wired together. other 2 whites wired together and 2 blacks on the switches.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Are both of the switches single pole or 3-ways or one of each?
Forget about the total quantity of wires and the colors in the box for now. I need to know the quantity of wires on the switch that controls the light fixture ceiling box and the wire colors that are terminated onto the switch screw terminals or inserted in the switch back-stab holes.
If the switch is a single pole, there will be 2 wires. If the switch is a 3-way, there will be 3 wires.