AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Working with a local electrician installing a 10KW Generac

Customer Question

Working with a local electrician installing a 10KW Generac Genset and Transfer Switch. The install manual says to use "wire shielding" to separate low and high voltage wiring unless requirements of NEC 300.3(c)(1) are met. The electrician says this means we need to use shielded cable for the low voltage control wiring. When I read the NEC code referred to, we can mix different voltage conductors as long as the all the wires are rated for the highest voltage conductor. So we can use common THHN or THWN for all the conductors and not need a special shielded control cable. Who is correct?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.What is the model number of the transfer switch?You have the manual and need to see what your reference is related to in the same manual. Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Generac RTSR100A3. Generator is an(###) ###-#### ***** generator install manual page 27-28 is where it references control wiring requirements.
Ok, thanks.Unable to find any manuals for a (###) ###-####generator at Generac.The transfer switch manual has Spanish on pages 27-28.Generac is the hardest of all companies to get informationI will keep trying, but nothing yet and been through 7 different ones they list
Ok,I am going to opt out and put your question back to the board instead of keeping you waiting.I have been through a dozen manuals and none match what you reference.Maybe another expert can find yours quicker and give an answer to the situation.Generac prefers serial numbers over everything for information, so you might get that and post for the next expert.Do not respond until the next expert posts, as it will delay the question on the open board. Thanks
Ok, took a while but think I found what you are referencing. I uploaded a picture of the excerpt out of the manual. and below is also the code associated. I would say you are correct on the wires, they meet the code reference and shielded not needed. (C) Conductors of Different Systems.(1) 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 600 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any con- ductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway. Informational Note :Section 300.3(C)(1) makes it clear that the maximum circuit voltage in the raceway, not the maximum insulation voltage rating of the conductors in the raceway, is what determines the minimum voltage rating required for the insulation of conductors for systems of 600 volts or less.Excerpt below, couldnt copy and paste, had to grab a screen shot, let me know if that is not it.