AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

What article in the code book states the type of receptacle

Customer Question

what article in the code book states the type of receptacle that has to be used? as in can a receptacle that has a rating on 15 amps be used in a kitchen that is on a 20 amp branch circuit. Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.All of that information is in the below Article of NEC:ARTICLE 406 Receptacles, Cord Connectors, and Attachment Plugs (Caps)The specific section you are referencing is:(A) Grounding Type. Receptacles installed on 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits shall be of the grounding type. Grounding-type receptacles shall be installed only on cir- cuits of the voltage class and current for which they are rated, except as provided in Table 210.21(B)(2) and Table 210.21(B)(3).Tables are shown below in the picture uploaded:Let me know anything further needed, Thanks