How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to install a 200 amp main power panel in my new pole

Customer Question

I want to install a 200 amp main power panel in my new pole building. I have 200 amp transformer with 100 amp service to the house and a smaller power line to small shop spliced into that line. The panel at the meter will accommodate up to three connections. Will I be ok to run 200 amp line from meter box to shed even with 100 amp line already connected to one of the three connection points
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Need some more specifics on the situation.Where exactly is it you have 3 connection points?200 amp meter bases have only one lug on the line and load sides normally, so trying to be sure where you are attaching?Is the meter base rated at 200 amps?What size is the service to the meter base? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The meter says 200 amp service. This is a farm location so I have the transformer on the ground with the meter panel against it below the meter is a ring style pull down shut off when o remove the front of this customer side of meter there is three connection points for both poles plus three for ground
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks.If the service is indeed 200 amps, you could add the pole building to it, but you do need a main disconnect at the meter for the pole building just like you have for the residence. You can have more than one disconnect on a service, so it is not a problem.I would suggest to keep the main at the meter for the new building at the least you can operate with, otherwise if you have a full 200 amp, you will jeopardize the residences use and the overall service.Run your 200 amp to the building, just keep the main lower to accommodate until maybe in the future you can upgrade if you will actually need that much at the new building. That way, the service will be in and you can update with no further action on the pole buildings feed.Let me know if that explains the situation or anything further needed,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you be able to guide me through the install process? I would need to know what all the parts are needed including the small things like gromets, clamps, conduit etc. I could send pictures of what stage I'm at. Face time could be of value in this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This could be a fun project for us to complete
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Let me opt out add put the question back to the board, I was not aware of the real time need, sorry.I would not have the time at this point to spend and give real time information.Normally the situation is provided and then we can spend time putting it all together at our convenience.Your information will be on the page for the next expert, so nothing is lost.No need to respond, the site will notify you when the next expert posts.Any response will delay the next expert as all responses must get a reply.ThanksThanks

Related Electrical Questions