AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

AIR CONDITIONER-portable I have a "florida" room -all glass

Customer Question

AIR CONDITIONER-portable
I have a "florida" room -all glass sliding (14"w) windows TO COOL.
Do all floor model A/C require a bucket to discharge water???
Do I need to place A/C high on wall shelf for it to drain outside a window???
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.The floor model AC units, will have an option of using the internal bucket to collect the water, or to connect a hose and allow to drain outside.Then you have another option, some will use the gravity flow to allow water out of the hose, and others will have a pump inside that actually will pump water out of the unit so it does not need the gravity to flow the water.Of course, the options increase the costs of the units, so it will depend on the budget and application if you cannot drop a hose out at the level of the where the unit is sitting.It would then, have to be raised to allow the water to drain out of a window unless you purchase one with the internal pump option.The other option, would be to purchase a separate condensate pump like used on a central AC unit and use it at the location to allow the AC unit to drain into the separate pump and then the pump will send the water outside.This option, of course, requires the pump to sit next to the ac unit and plug into a receptacle as well. So, depending on your situation, there are plenty of options to install the unit. Let me know anything further, or other information that will assist in your decision to get the appropriate unitThanks